Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ender's Game

This is my first post, so I'm not promising wonderful writing, but here goes:


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Page Number: 324

    This is one of my favorite books. That really is not that tremendous of an achievement, as I like most books, but this is really an amazing book. It's about a boy named Ender Wiggin who lives in the future earth, which has been attacked twice by a race of insect like aliens called buggers. Also, because of overcrowding, people are encouraged to not have more than two children, and only get benefits for the first child. This is kind of a cliche in my opinion, but thankfully this book doesn't focus on that. However, because of the fear of another bugger invasion, the I.F., which right now I really can't remeber what that stands for, maybe the International Fleet, or something. Hmmm...
I just googled it, and I was RIGHT! So the I.F. sticks monitors in the backs of kids' necks when they are born. This lets them record the child's entire life and even see into their brains, I think. The monitors help the I.F. to look for people who might make good soldiers.
    So anyway, Ender is chosen for Battle School, the precursor to Pre-Command and Command School. Once Ender gets to Battle School, he is pushed really hard both mentally and physically , but turns out be a super- genius.
    Oh!! I completely forgot that Ender has siblings! Yes, Ender has an older sister named Valentine and an older brother named Peter. Valentine is very nice and always protects Ender, but Peter is very violent and threatens to kill them through out their childhood. They play an important role eventually, but I'm not going to tell you about that, so you will have to read the book.
    This book has parts in it for almost everyone. If you like books about military strategy, it has some amazing battles that are really cool even to people who aren't into strategy. There is a lot about how Ender thinks about himself and others and how people's emotions work, and the science fiction techy goodness is amazing for my fellow nerds (GO NERDS!!).

By the way, there are at least three more books, which I will read and review as soon as possible, and if you read this and like it before I finish them, the second one is called Speaker for the Dead.






SPOILERS BELLOW!!! SPOILERS BELLOW!!!
                    |                                            |
                    |                                            |
                   \ /                                         \ /












SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!


SCROLL UP!!




Okay, here is some important facts that you shouldn't know until you read the book, but I'm putting it here anyway.

First of all, the buggers have a queen that thinks for them all.
Before the first of all, Ender graduates from Battle School early and ends up in Command School a few (10 maybe) years early.
Mazer Rackham, who won the second war (he's famous, by the way) teaches Ender.
The simulators that Mazer is supposedly controlling is actually controlling a real fleet against real buggers.
Ender wipes out all the living buggers, then goes with Valentine to settle a bugger world, were..
He findsd a baby bugger queen who talks through his mind to explain a few things, and then...
Ender searches the galaxy to find a place to help the bugger survive, followed by...
The end of the book.
That important role of Peter and Valentine is that they get on the internet and pose as adults and become important government figures.

No comments: